From the "Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships,"
(1970) Vol. 5, pp.416-417.
Displacement: 9,375 t.
Length: 588'2"
Beam: 61'10"
Draft: 19'5"
Speed: 32 k.
Complement: 807 Armament: 9 8"; 8 5"; 8 .50 cal. MG

QUINCY (CA-39) was laid down by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding
Corp., Quincy, Mass., 15 November 1933; launched 19 June 1935;
sponsored by Mrs. Henry S. Morgan; and commissioned at Boston 9
June 1936, Capt. William Faulkner Amsden in command.

Soon after being assigned to Cruiser Division 8 Atlantic Fleet,
QUINCY was ordered to Mediterranean waters 20 July 1936, to
protect American interests in Spain during the height of the Spanish
Civil War. QUINCY passed through the Straits of Gibraltar 26 July
and arrived at Malaga, Spain, 27 July to assume her duties. While in
Spanish waters, she operated with an international rescue fleet that
included the German pocket battleships DEUTSCHLAND,
evacuated 490 refugees to Marseilles and Villefranche, France, before
being relieved by RALEIGH (CL-7) 27 September.

QUINCY returned to the Boston Navy Yard 5 October for refit
preparatory to final acceptance trials which were held 15-18 March
1937. She got underway for the Pacific 12 April to join Cruiser
Division 7, transited the Panama Canal 23-27 April and arrived at
Pearl Harbor 10 May. QUINCY sortied with Cruiser Divisions,
Pacific Fleet, 20 May on a tactical exercise which was the first of many
such maneuvers that she participated in during 1937 and 1938. From
15 March-28 April, she engaged in important battle practice off
Hawaii with the Pacific Fleet in Fleet Problem XIX.

After an overhaul at Mare Island Navy Yard, QUINCY resumed
tactical operations with her division off San Clemente, Calif., until her
redeployment to the Atlantic 4 January 1939.

QUINCY transited the Panama Canal 13 January bound for
Guantanamo Bay where she engaged in gunnery practice and
amphibious exercises. She also took part in Fleet Problem XX with the
Atlantic Fleet 13-26 February.

QUINCY later made a South American good will tour 10 April-12
June, and upon returning to Norfolk, embarked reservists for three
training cruises 9 July-24 August. She spent the remainder of 1939 on
patrol in the North Atlantic due to the outbreak of World War II.

After overhaul at Norfolk until 4 May 1940, QUINCY again
visited Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina, returning to Norfolk 22
September. She completed three more reserve training cruises 1
October-20 December.

QUINCY was occupied in Atlantic Fleet maneuvers and landing
force exercises off Culebra Island, P.R. 3 February-1 April 1941.
With the growth of hostilities in Europe, she was ordered to Task
Group 2 and operated with WASP (CV-7) in the mid-Atlantic,
preserving U.S. neutrality 26 April-6 June. Later, she operated with
YORKTOWN (CV-5) and Task Group 28 until sailing for home 14

On 28 July 1941, QUINCY sailed with Task Group 16 for Iceland
on neutrality duty which included a patrol in the Denmark Straits 21-24
September. She returned to Newfoundland with a convoy 31
October. QUINCY then proceeded to Capetown, South Africa, via
Trinidad, where she met a convoy which she escorted back to
Trinidad 29 December 1941.

QUINCY returned 25 January 1942 to Icelandic waters on
convoy duty with Task Force 15 and made a patrol in the Denmark
Straits 8-11 March. She departed 14 March for the U.S. and an
overhaul at the New York Navy Yard that lasted until the end of May.

QUINCY sailed for San Diego 5 June via the Panama Canal and
arrived 19 June. She was then assigned to Task Force 18 as the
flagship of Rear Admiral Norman R. Scott, Commander, Cruisers.
QUINCY got underway for the South Pacific in July with other vessels
assembling for the invasion of Guadalcanal. Prior to the Marine assault
on Guadalcanal 7 August, QUINCY destroyed several Japanese
installations and an oil depot during her bombardment of Lunga Point.
She later provided close fire support for the Marines during the

While on patrol in the channel between Florida Island and Savo
Island, in the early hours of 9 August 1942, QUINCY was attacked
by a large Japanese naval force and sank after sustaining many direct
hits with all guns out of action.

QUINCY earned one battle star during World War II.